UMD Info Challenge
Going Beyond Data
February 26 – March 5, 2022
What is UMD Info Challenge?
UMD Info Challenge (formerly known as UMD DATA CHALLENGE) is a week-long event that gathers teams of students from across multiple academic institutions to work with partnering organizations to address real-world problems, provide valuable team-building experience, and network with industry professionals.
This year’s theme, Going Beyond Data, will include 2 new tracks, Design and Cybersecurity! Students will be challenged to utilize their skills in Data Analytics, Design, and Cybersecurity to create solutions that empower communities and enhance their resilience.
- Work in teams of up to 4 students, along with a mentor, to create a data-driven solution
- Network with a variety of organizations and data professionals
- Gain technical and analytical experience by working with real-world data
All Participants and Partners must adhere to UMD COVID-19 guidelines to full participate in UMD Info Challenge 2022.
IC22 Main Event Schedule
- February 11, 2022 3-6pm | IC22 Mentor and Judge Information Session
- February 26, 2022 11am – 3pm | Kick-off Event
- March 5, 2022, 10am-2pm | Judging Event (teams will present to judges)
- March 5, 2022, 2-3pm | Showcase Event (teams will share their results with guests)
- March 5, 2022, 3-4pm | Awards Ceremony
- November 30, 2021 | Dataset or challenge project submission
- December 15, 2021 | Individual Student Participant Sign-ups
- December 15, 2021 | Mentor, Judge, or Partner Sign-ups
- January 31, 2022 | Event Table Host Sign-ups
- February 18, 2022 | Book Space for Interviews with Winning Students
Choose datasets to analyze from a variety of levels and interest areas
Select from security plans, risk analysis, policy evaluation and misinformation/
Work on website or app re-designs, survey evaluation and redesign, and prototyping ideas
Details about the challenge options will be posted in January 2022!
Each student must first sign-up individually using the link below by December 15, 2021 at 11:59PM EST. No late entries will be accepted!
Students who register by the December 15 deadline will then be provided with a link in January 2022 to register their team, which can consist of up to 4 students. In January, students who successfully registered by the December 15 deadline and need to find a team will have the opportunity to connect with other students looking for a team on the IC22 Team Building Discord Server.
University of Maryland, College Park or Shady Grove students, click on this link to register: https://tinyurl.com/ParticipateIC22
There are many ways to become an IC22 Partner. Click on an option below to find out more!
- Provide a Dataset and Challenge Project for the student teams to work on for the week.
- Mentor student teams (no data science experience necessary!)
- Judge the final projects at the end of the week.
- Volunteer at any of the events working closely with the IC22 team to provide the best experience for Students and Partners.
- Host an Event Table during the Showcase Event
- Provide Organizational Swag or Literature
Ready to sign up to be an IC22 partner? Click HERE to complete the IC22 Partner Form!
Unable to participate as a volunteer?
You can still help support the next generation of information and data professionals by donating to the Info Challenge Initiative here
Become a Sponsor for IC22! Your funding will support the UMD Info Challenge 2022 by supplying prizes, swag, food and venues!
- Yottabyte Partner – Support IC22 with a gift of $3,000
- Exabyte Partner – Support IC22 with a gift of $1,000
- Gigabyte Partner – Support IC22 by Volunteering
Where will UMD Info Challenge 2022 be held?
- Kick-off Event: Feb 26, 2022 | 11am-3pm | Hybrid
You can choose to participate in person at the Adele H. Stamp Student Union at the University of Maryland, College Park or you can participate on the IC22 Discord server.
Note: You must attend the full day to be considered an IC22 participant.
- Work week: Feb 27 – Mar 4, 2022 | Remote
You will work with your team and your mentor remotely for the week.
- Judging Event: Mar 5, 2022 | 10am-2pm | In-person
You must attend the full day to be considered an IC22 participant.
- Showcase event: Mar 5, 2022 | 2-3pm | In-person
Your team can choose to present your final projects in a showcase style setting to data enthusiasts, friends, family, and anyone who is interested to see the amazing work you created during the week.
- Awards Ceremony: Mar 5, 2022 | 3-4pm | In-person
Your team must be present to receive your IC22 award.
Can I participate in UMD Info Challenge?
- Yes, if you are an undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral student enrolled in the University of Maryland, College Park, we’d love to have you join us!
Do I have to pay?
- This event is absolutely free! It includes admission, interaction with awesome mentors, swag, food and beverages.